Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Sometimes my kids aren't funny, they're just kids......

I told someone this week that one of the greatest things God has done for me was to reveal that I am to enjoy my children and not just endure the growing up years.  It's true.  When my boys were small I spent many days just enduring, you know, getting through all the diapers, the feedings, the sicknesses, the messes, the impossible road trips, the training of bedtime routines, all of it.  Sometime around the boy's third birthday I just got it, I began to see that God not only entrusted my four babies to me but He expected me to be rewarded with joy along the way.  Nice!


That being said, let me be clear that sometimes things aren't so lovey and rosy.  Sometimes the delightful darling blessings from God annoy me.  Yesterday was just such an occasion.  I think I have mentioned before how my boys can no longer tolerate each other, yes?  While we were supposed to be completing our math lesson, Tucker and Landry were yet again engaged in a shouting match heated debate over something non-mathematical.  I told them to stop it, and they actually behaved as if I hadn't spoken.  I again asked them to show some self control; at which point,  I realized we must have morphed into some alternative dimension where I am no longer in charge. Seriously?  After having to explain the math concept yet again, I informed the 2 vile children that they had officially lost the privilege of staying home without adult supervision.  Well apparently being required to attend drama class with me is akin to prying off fingernails with hot bamboo shoots.  There was much weeping and wailing.  All that wailing meant I had to stop math and gnash my teeth.  Once I pulled myself together I then mentioned that although they had lost the stay home privilege they had yet to lose electronics, so either they could get it together or the DS was history.  Finally we were able to finish math, and we had to grab a quick lunch meaning sandwiches and then we had to scoot.  Well apparently in this new dimension where I am not in charge, Tucker can reject the offered foods and I will whip him up his own special meal.  Since I was unaware of  this change and didn't follow the rules Tucker had to melt down entirely.   Grrr...... Finally, we leave for drama, but acceptance of their fate was not part of the plan.  The boys launched a campaign to convince me that I was wildly unfair in my consequences.  They tried to assure me that they never fight when I am gone.  I asked them to give me some good reasons(any good reason) why I should believe that since they couldn't quit fighting when they were in FRONT of me.  The only thing they could say was we promise we don't.  I once again repeated the challenge to give me a reason to believe them.  After a few moments thought, Landry in all seriousness gave me the best he had,  "Mom, we're not allowed to lie."  .......sigh......



No comments:

Post a Comment