Saturday, September 11, 2010

Pie!!

This is an excellent day!  I finally like a pie.  Well a pie that was baked anyway.  I mean I LOVE Banana Split pie, I have been known to stomach a strawberry pie and I have often enjoyed a Lemon Icebox pie , but I have tried for years to like a traditional baked pie.  Who wouldn't want to indulge what almost everyone in America endorses as a holiday must?  I think pies are a very attractive food, which is important to me, and they smell divine.  So usually at Thanksgiving and Christmas when we pull out all the baking stops, I try to like pie.  This has been an on going challenge for about 20 years now and finally I LIKE PIE!  Well this Schwan's Apple Pie at least.  My problem with pie is usually my aversion to cooked fruit, that has always been a deal breaker for me it has never appealed.  Pecan pie has that gross feeling filling which unfortunately is attached to the crust.  I do, however, love the pecans on the top of the pie so anyone who is willing to take the filling and crust we could work something out.  The next pie I plan to love is Jenny's chocolate pie.  I understand that she makes a rockin' pie and she makes her own crust and meringue.  I think when I like it I will not even care if the meringue shrinks!   I'm not  really sure where this love of or at least toleration of pie will lead, except maybe to bigger pants.  I think the next pie I will try is peach.....or chess.....or well I did say the chocolate!

I would like to make it clear that while it may appear that I am trying in some way to broaden culinary horizons, or be more open minded, it's just not true.  I want to like pie because the people in Mayberry like pie.  I know, weird.  I just don't want you all to get the idea that I plan on trying to like Jello or root beer which I am quite certain are from the devil and should be avoided at all costs.  Much in the way sane people avoid pouring soda on their ice cream, or driving down the wrong side of the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment