Thursday, November 18, 2010

20 years later....

Well I am closing in on my 40th birthday.  I have been trying to decide how I feel about it, you know am I sad, depressed, on the brink of a mid-life crisis?   Of course that is assuming I live to be 80, I really hate to think I missed my opportunity to have a crisis....  I think more than anything I am kinda indifferent.  I really like big feelings so what to do what to do?  I still have some time to be faced with the reality of turning a big number so more on the feelings watch later.

On Wednesday, Jenny gave me a video tape to watch.  It was a video I sent her in 1990 while she was away at college and I was at home buying my first car.  For reasons unknown, I felt compelled to film the momentous occasion.  I filmed the tires(all 4, actually I just went back and forth twice to save the trip around the car), the bumper, the trunk and the cardboard on the floor mats.  All of this with riveting commentary.  I said things like "This is my car", "Lots of trunk space", "The cardboard is only temporary.",  "I've named her Sydney" and "Oh while I have your attention this is my Easter dress."  This has clearly demonstrated that my attention span has not improved over the last 20 years. I wonder what else hasn't changed...

~ I still rice krispy treats
~ I still do not like it when my parents do things different
~ I still like to out smart my brother
~ I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up.
~ I wanted to then and am still married to a dark haired, green eyed Texas boy.
~ I still like to have cinnamon toast with my hot chocolate
~ I still like road trips
~ I still love spending my free time with Jenny
~ I still get excited when my dad makes fudge
~ I still like to pretend I can sing
~ I still love to ride with the windows down in my car belting out a rock song.  Then I remember I drive a minivan.
~ I still love to find the perfect pair of jeans.
~ Most of my clothes are still blue.
~ I still like James Dean
~I still love big hair

How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment